FAQ & Important Facts About Golf Cart Insurance
Do Street Legal Golf Carts Require Insurance
The answer is yes! You can treat a street legal golf cart just as you would a car. That means it needs insurance just like cars do. The insurance cost for a street legal golf cart policy is very affordable. In fact, golf cart insurance is required in order to keep tags active on the golf cart.
Does Home Insurance Cover Golf Carts?
Most homeowner’s policies provide little, or no coverage for golf carts especially if you leave your property. If your golf cart is damaged by something other than a collision — fire, theft or hail, for instance — comprehensive coverage may help pay to repair the damage. Don’t count on your homeowner’s insurance to cover the damage caused while riding golf carts.
Does Car Insurance Cover Golf Cart Accidents?
It’s important to have the proper type of policy if you are driving your golf cart on the street. Unfortunately, your auto insurance will not cover any damage done to or by your golf cart, nor will it cover any injuries. You must specifically have golf cart insurance with comprehensive and collision coverage.
Why Should I Consider Golf Cart Insurance?
Other than the fact that golf cart insurance is often required, statistics show that golf cart accidents are on the rise in Florida. Florida is well known for having a large retirement population. It has several golf courses around and notorious for having lots of people riding around in golf carts.
A Golf Cart policy also provides personal injury as well as liability coverage. This means you are protected in case you cause injury to yourself or anyone else while operating your golf cart.
You never know what will happen and far too often people learn from mistakes. This is an excellent way to protect yourself and your loved ones. A small cost can save a big headache.
Basic Coverage And What It Means:
- Property Damage Liability– If you are found legally responsible for an accident that damages another person’s property — a car or house, for instance — property damage liability coverage may help you pay to repair the damage.
- Bodily Injury Liability Coverage – If you cause an accident that hurts another person, bodily injury liability coverage may help you pay for the other person’s medical bills and other related expenses.
- Guest Liability Coverage – This is liability protection for other friends/family that are on the cart riding as guest to give the insured protection from a lawsuit against passengers.
- Collision Coverage – May help you pay for repairs to your golf cart, regardless of who is at fault, if you collide with another cart or another object in an accident
- Comprehensive coverage – If your golf cart is damaged by something other than collision, for example; vandalism or hail, this coverage may help you.
What You May Not Know..
- According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, there are at least 17,000 golf cart accidents that happen that require medical attention in the United States each year.
- Over 40% of the people injured in these accidents were minors under the age of 16.
- In Florida, there are no age restrictions on how old you must be to operate a golf cart on a golf course.
- You only have to be 14 years old to operate a golf cart on a road, however, the speed limit must be at or below 25mph.
- A Golf Cart policy also provides personal injury as well as liability coverage. This means you are protected in case you cause injury to yourself or anyone else while operating your golf cart.